Tuesday, October 16, 2007

An Hour chez Schock




Some more of my broken tooth had crumbled by the time I got to the dentist's office (it is about a 25 minute bike ride from here). Waited for a few minutes in the reception area, then was put in one of the operating rooms, where I had to wait quite a while, sounds of drilling coming muffled through the wall. Even the usually nervous assistant finally went out to wait, and I took the opportunity to get out my new camera to play with it learn the new controls.
The dentist came in and I guiltily put the camera in the bag, but he saw it and was intrigued... we got into a long discussion on photography in general and I found myself lecturing him we found ourselves talking about camera techniques and the philosophy of picture taking and Cologne's greatest photographer (August Sander).
Then finally (he hadn't yet shown any interest in my broken tooth) he said, "Let's have a look." Then a few murmurings to his assistant, then, "Will have to do an X-ray, will see you again in a few minutes", and he rushed out.
The girl took me into the Xray room across the hall, saying, "A different kind of photography!" and then put me back in the dentist's chair. "Would you like me to bring you something to read?"
"No," I said, "just give me my camera again..."

She laughed, and we got into a discussion of cameras and picturetaking. "Some people like spending money on clothes, " she said, "but I don't so much. But I am very fussy about cosmetics."

I told her I don't spend a whole lot on cosmetics.

The dentist came back, glanced at the Xray, said "Well, that is a big hole!" He put tested for reaction to cold, then pounded on the tooth with his mirror. "Geht's noch?" "OK," I whispered.

"So. We will have to put a crown on it, but first I need to close it up. I will have to drill some. You don't need anaesthetic, do you?"

I didn't really have time to answer, he was already drilling. Then he put a clamp around the tooth.

"This may squeeze a bit", he said. He NEVER says, this might hurt. He is considerate enough to ask, during the drilling, "Geht's noch?" every couple of minutes, but he doesn't really want an answer. As if I would be capable of giving one.

"So. That was it for today, please make a new appointment"

Then he was gone.

The entire process, minus the camera diversion, took about 9 1/2 minutes. I have a temporary filling and no pain from the drilling or anaesthetic. The guy is a genius.

Then I was back on my bike for the ride down the Rhein in brilliant weather. (Click to enlarge picture)


Comments:
I usually ask for aenesthetic before I say hello to the doctor. So I don`t get how it`s possible to have your tooth drilled-filled without screaming. Superpowers, Vailian?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?