Thursday, February 19, 2009

It is that time of year again...


As every year, Karneval brings Cologne to a standstill (as I reported here and here... and last year I had special vistors from Carol's family).
Traditionally, Carneval starts on the Thursday before Mardi Gras, at precisely eleven minutes past eleven. This day is known as "Weiberfasnacht", and women do strange and inebriated things. (The normally staid and dignified wife of the American consul in Germany told me she is planning to get dressed up and join a bunch of ladies who are going to storm the Dusseldorf City Hall. )
I was in the local home repairs shop this morning shortly after 11, and the salesgirls were already dressed up and handing out free beers to anyone who looked vaguely over the age of 15. And partaking freely themselves, I might add.
The schoolkids are let out at noon on this day and begin wandering around with their friends, (picture above in front of my apartment), and by evening there is a thick carpet of empty bottles, like new-fallen snow, on the streets in town.
But the atmosphere is generally good-natured and there is surprisingly little trouble.
I am not complaining. We also get the next 4 days off.
Posted by Picasa

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?