Monday, October 27, 2008

Ex-Pat Bloggers and the Election.

Christina is going to be interviewed about the election by a Connecticut NPR station. These are some of the questions she is going to be asked, and I thought I would answer them also--

As an “expat blogger” what do you blog about when it comes to the election?

I have  been pretty apolitical all my life... feel that individuals who have the urge to become politicians need to be regarded with deep deep suspicion. But the Bush Administration has so thoroughly succeeded in making life for me and my children much more dangerous in so many ways, that for the first time I have been moved to write about my concerns. I have expressed my sense that Obama has  judgement and ideals that I would like to see at least expressed in the self-serving seething morass that is Washington. Likewise, I have written of my unease at the prospect of Sarah Palin's fingers anywhere near the nuclear buttons.

What are people saying about American politics in Germany where you live?

Germans-- at least the overwhelming majority of those I know-- are appalled at the turn American politics has taken in the last 8 years, and yearn for a return to what they see as American ideals.

What is the general sense of how Americans are perceived?

Americans here are not discriminated against; but most Germans resent what they interpret as arrogance on the part of the Bush government in dealing with other countries, and feel that there is an almost willful ignorance of foreign cultures and beliefs.

Do you wish you were in the US during this election season?

I have to answer NO to this... I am glad to be able to vote from a safe distance, I want to make up my own mind on the issues and not have to listen to advertising from either party.


Comments:
Thanks for answering the questions. I too am glad not to have been there the whole election season. Especially as Virginia is a swing state this year, I think 4 days of campaign advertising will do me just fine.
 
Americans abroad do occasionally face antipathy and hostility toward themselves merely because of their nationality. This anti-American prejudice does result in palpable disadvantages for Americans when applying for jobs, university studies, or seeking medical care.

As an American residing in Germany, I've experienced discrimination. I've heard accounts from other Americans of discrimination. It's not as injurious or systemic as, say, discrimination in our own country against African Americans, but it does exist.

Unfortunately, the issue of anti-Americanism has been misused by American right-wingers to justify their misbegotten and catastrophic policies.

Moreover, because anti-Americanism is ugly, as prejudice always is, discussions about it tend to be ugly, and it's probably wise to avoid them.
 
My experience has been that Americans experience perhaps even less prejudice than other foreigners in Germany.. obviously there is the usual reluctance to give good jobs to non-Germans but I think the resistance is less than it is for Germans looking for work in America.
The issues Germans have with America seem to be more aimed at the recent Administration than at individuals.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?