Monday, June 16, 2008

Cricket


Do you listen to the BBC Radio 4? I have been listening for, well, about 30 years I suppose, and I love it.

But one thing always irritated me: the coverage of Cricket. Interminable, tedious, arcane, waffling, pretentious, and --even after 30 years-- absolute gibberish for me. 

I never bothered to learn what the game was about, or even vaguely what the point is in the game. I only knew that one game could last days and days on end, and was (even for the live commentators) so inutterably tedious that most of the commentary had almost nothing to do with the actual actions on the field (I mean pitch) but were stream-of-consciousness ramblings by some self-satisfied commentator with an irritatingly plummy voice and an English accent dating from around 1935.

But, astonishingly, I continue to keep listening (sometimes for as much as a half an hour) even though the descriptions have no meaning for me whatsoever. Wickets, overs, century, 190 not out, ... all these terms have not been sorted out in my head. 

And now of course I am too proud to read up on the subject, and even though my ex-brother-in-law is an avid (the English would of course say a keen) cricketer, I refuse to ask anyone to explain the sport to me. 

A jolly good waste of an airwave, I say.


Comments:
there are 2 wavelengths for radio 4 - one of which concentrates on cricket etc and the other which doesn't. Despite having absolutely no interest in cricket at all I find something calming about the commentary - it's a bit like an England that is stuck permanently in 1958 which isn't always a bad thing. If you forget children having rickets etc.
 
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rzPeNQiohk8

What Heidikraut said. And you just have to put Radio 4 on all day and listen to everything, crap drama and all. I don't know cricket either, but prefer the commentary to football.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?