Wednesday, August 15, 2007

End of Sommer; Musings from my Empty Apartment




Tomorrow I am back at work again, but for the moment I am revelling in having the apartment to myself. Max the Lodger has gone home to his parents house for a few days, Lionel has moved out, more or less. It is a curious boarding house I have here; lots of rooms on 3 floors. People living here intersect--or don't--there is only one front door but many windows. There are just 2 of us living here now (Max, who is a cellist) and me; but often there are others here: Lionel occasionally, and his friends; Max's on-and-off girlfriend, the Belgian stewardess and bondage/latex freak; occasional students and people passing through.


Because there are a couple of spare rooms, and I am trying to pay college tuition for my son, I had a girl come to look at one of the rooms yesterday. On the phone, she was reluctant (the price I was asking was more than she wanted to pay; she would not be in town all that much because she lives mostly in Stuttgart, etc.).


She arrived at the door and came up the stairs (there are a lot of them, and no elevator), and I began showing her around. She was pretty, 22 or 23 with bright eyes. She began by saying that she would not be in Cologne all that much (she will be starting as an extra player, non-contract, in September) and was not at all sure it wouldn't be better just to stay with friends...
Then Max came down, and (as it happened) Lionel came in the door. The girl suddenly stood up very straight, kind of like a puppy seeing a bird. Her manner changed immediately, her eyes big and alert, she straightened her clothing repeatedly. We went upstairs to see the room, which had been Lionel's, and which still looks like the aftermath of a bombing raid. (But it is still a splendid room, lots of windows and spectacular views over the city). I explained that she would have to share a bathroom with Max and the kitchen with me, and that Lionel was still in and out. "No problem," she said giddily. I said maybe I could compromise on the rent because she wouldn't be here all that much. "NO, it is OK!," she said.
And as she left I heard her saying to herself, "It's perfect, really perfect!"

Note to self: Make sure Lionel and Max are there the next time I have to rent out a room.



I have been selfindulgent the last couple of weeks, undisciplined and lazy, reading magazines and blogs, but this will have to change, I have a full playing and teaching schedule starting tomorrow. But today I intend to stay lazy.

Here are a few random pictures from my apartment.
Comments:
All I can say is: what a magnificent building.
 
Well, Lionel IS a cutie! And the apartment building is gorgeous. (Not sure about Max, though!) It sounds like she made the right choice.

Carol
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?