Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Language and the Expat

An entry by Heidi got me thinking about my living for quite a while in a foreign country but not mastering the language, and I wonder if any other expats have this problem? I never studied German, had to learn by doing so to speak...my German is still grammatically faulty on a fairly basic level even after 20-odd years, I cannot seem to get the Dativ, Genitiv, Akkusativ endings right for the life of me! And the Germans, unfortunately, tend to equate grammar mistakes with sub-human intelligence or abject Turkishness, so I am leery of commiting anything to paper. The speaking and comprehension bit is not so bad, my method is to mumble when I get to the end of a declineable adjective or noun. People are bewildered that I can know all the big words and understand the dialects (yes, even Kölsch) and still get the "der, die, das, dem, den..." bits wrong.

Mark Twain wrote some really choice comments on Germany and its language after some extended travels in Europe... his most famous being the essay "The Awful German language". But there are other quotes, like:
Whenever the literary German dives into a sentence, that is the last you are going to see of him till he emerges on the other side of his Atlantic with his verb in his mouth.

It is not like studying German, where you mull along, in a groping, uncertain way, for thirty years; and at last, just as you think you've got it, they spring the subjunctive on you, and there you are. No- and I see now plainly enough, that the great pity about the German language is, that you can't fall off it and hurt yourself. There is nothing like that feature to make you attend strictly to business.
- Taming the Bicycle
The Germans have an inhuman way of cutting up their verbs. Now a verb has a hard time enough of it in this world when it's all together. It's downright inhuman to split it up. But that's just what those Germans do. They take part of a verb and put it down here, like a stake, and they take the other part of it and put it away over yonder like another stake, and between these two limits they just shovel in German.
- Mark Twain's Speeches, "Disappearance of Literature"
I don't speak German well but several experts have assured me that I write it like an angel. Maybe so, maybe so- I don't know. I've not yet made any acquaintances among the angels. That comes later, whenever it please the Deity. I'm not in any hurry.
- Concordia speech, 11/2/1897

To be fair, he was even less complimentary about Dutch:
It is too smooth and blubbery; it reads like butter-milk gurgling from a jug.
Comments:
I always try to stick a modal verb in where separable verbs are concerned to make it easier, thus I'm rubbish at separable verbs.
 
Sounds like you know what you are doing. Tell me then, which is correct:
Sie hat gebabysittet
Sie hat babygesittet
Sie hat babygesat
Sie hat das Baby gesittet

 
I don't know - I'm not sure I'd use any of those but if pushed then I'd go for baby gesittet - I really don't know.
 
I've been here 13 years and my German is dreadful. I don't worry about der,die, or das - I find that if you speak forceful enough the Germans accept it. I think Jerome K. Jerome said that a German is never happier when receiving orders :)
 
Abject Turkishness! Oy!

I've been here 17 years and my Geman is stupendous. :-) Well, let's just say it's pretty darn good, but I did work hard at it.

Would you have the time or inclination to take a grammar course to get your mind around the cases and endings once and for all? There's NO way I could have ever learned this language properly without attending classes and perusing books and grammar tables. But that's just uptight me - I'm not the kind of person who can just pick up a language on the streets and I have great respect for people who do, but sometimes I think they reach a certain level and can go no further because they don't really understand the inner workings of the language and why certain things are as they are.

babygesittet gets my vote too.
 
Heidi: You are right of course, baby gesittet is not only the correct answer, it follows the New Grammar Rules (separate the parts of the verb). No matter what you say, it sounds silly.
haddock: I have tried the Loud Voice Option but unfortunately I have a weedy set of vocal cords and tend to squeak embarassingly if I raise my voice. I try to use Dark Looks instead. That doesn't work either.
christina: I have the tables but don't seem to find the time to really memorize them. I am working on it though, because my girlfriend tends to roll her eyes a lot when I try a daring grammatical flight. My mistakes tend to be limited to the adjective gender thingys, but my spelling is superb. (I won a spelling bee in nebraska when I was in third grade, so there Ha!) When I first moved to Cologne, I did start classes at the Volkshochschule with my (English) wife, but everyone was so interested in trying out their English that I didn't learn much. You at least got to practice your German at home, an advantage I didn't have.
And I suspect you came to Germany at a much more tender age. :)
 
Me and German language don`t mix either. I "studied " it(meaning: was absent from most classes because of too much partying)in high school. I can watch the German news and even understand some of it (international words, ahem), but speaking - hopeless.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?