Sunday, April 01, 2007

It has been a long week



What do these 2 pictures have in common? Both taken from the same vantage point--my kitchen window-- within minutes of each other, but with different lenses. The bikes are hardly visible in the first picture, but in the second one you can read the brand name on the saddles.
I have been working this week with an orchestra whose studio is across the street from a camera store. BAD THING. Now I have a new lens for my camera, and it is terrific.
The first picture is with a fairly wide-angle lens, and the second with my new lens, a 70-300 zoom (you have to click on the pictures to get the full Aha! effect). It has image stabilisation, which I need for concert pictures because you cannot always get very close to the stage.
Comments:
Proximity to shops seem to have a drying effect on my wallet too.
 
HOLY MOLY!!! You're not kidding about the AHA! effect when you zoom in. I can see how much fun this must be! I simply carry my Canon with me everywhere and snap away constantly -- one size fits all snapping. It's pathetic, really. I need to learn how to really use a camera!

Carol
 
very cool - one of these days I will take the plunge and go all out with camera and lenses.
 
tink: and it was a camera store I swore I would never patronize-- overpriced and arrogant. It was agony: we had extra-long rehearsal breaks with nothing to do except windowshop. And the sun was coming out (sun reduces my inhibitions considerably).
carol: OK, so this zoom is a bit extreme, but I have always preferred working with a telephoto lens when doing portraits because a) subjects feel less selfconscious (after all, I am not working with professional models), and b) they often produce more flattering results.
michelle: When you do, let me know; as anyone who knows me can confirm, I LOVE giving advice...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?