Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Boring Bureaucracy



 Ah the joys of German living... I am off to Athens (that is Greece, not Georgia) day after tomorrow, and went to the city hall to get my Aufenthaltsberechtigungstempel (Right-to-Reside-Stamp) in my passport. After waiting nearly 45 minutes in a smoky hallway, having previously gone to a photo store to have a "biometrically permitted pass photo" taken, and having been assured that I could have the thing done on the spot, I finally was admitted into the smoky office, only to be told that she couldn't give me a stamp in my passport because there weren't enough free pages.  
"What should I do then?" I asked, and the woman said, well, the only possibility is to take the train to Frankfurt, wait in more unbearable hallways, and have the American Embassy sew in more pages. Does the American Embassy employ cadres of seamstresses who toil in back rooms, sewing paper pages into passports??
Comments:
actually, it does. It takes about 20 minutes and is free of charge. However, living in NrW, can't you just go to the one in DUS?
 
I had to get extra pages when I got my permanent residence. It is pretty quick, once you get to a consulate, that is.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?