Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A Trip to Dresden


Having got fed up with the problems in my back and arm, I flew to Dresden to visit my friend Professor Doktor T, who is head of the neurology department of a big hospital there. Not to mention a fine pianist. Although under normal circumstances he wouldn't have touched a patient with my pathetic medical insurance policy, he assembled his whole team and we had a lovely time doing tests. (Lovely is of course a relative term...) Dr. T. put me up in his splendid villa overlooking the Elbe river, with a magnificent view of the newly rebuilt Dresden skyline. He and his girls in the hospital took turns prodding me and asking questions and sending horrible amounts of electric current through my arms, taking dozens of MRI scans of my spine, and testing my reflexes. Including tickle. The girl on the left is a mean tickler and I accused her loudly of having deeprooted sadistic tendencies. Anyhow we all laughed a lot. I felt horribly guilty because I am not really sick, just have some inconvience with a disk in my neck, and because T. is a friend of mine and boss of the place, I was given priority while I was there, it went so far as that some poor unfortunate Turkish man who had evidently been waiting for hours for a test, and had finally gotten into the examination room and was being hooked up, was summarily disconnected and sent into the hall again while me and the girls went in to do our thing.
Anyhow the tests were all negative for neurological damage, so we put it down to me riding my bike too fast to get to rehearsals. Afterwards, T. and I went out for a real bang up meal and drank far far too much wine.
Then we went into the city and met up with a friend who plays in the Staatskapelle Orchestra in Dresden and had a Glühwein in the Christmas Market.


Then I came home. Now I have to figure out how to explain why, if there is nothing wrong with me, I got off work all last week. Posted by Picasa
Comments:
You couldn't have planned it more perfectly! A week off, a trip to Dresden, visiting friends, gluehwein... If people ask, just wince between words!

Carol
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?