Saturday, December 30, 2006

New Years Prep


Tomorrow I have guests coming for Sylvester, which is what they call New Years Eve here. It is a big deal, and fireworks are de rigeur for any self-respecting host. The fireworks go on sale in all the supermarkets from the 28th (they are only allowed to be sold on the few days between Xmas and new Years) and most years I buy a big packet of rockets (15 or 20 bottle rockets which is always more than enough).
This year, however, I have only bought one of these, which, when lit, looks like this.
On Thursday I had a big Schülervorspiel (student concert) here. Fortunately I have a big living room with a grand piano. it started off with my youngest student (the prodigal Mina, 8 years old), who played several pieces, including a duet with me and one with my daughter CC who is in town this week from Barcelona.
The concert then continued with older students, finishing with a terrific performance of the Rondo Capriccioso by Saint-Saens by Nils-Arne Schneider, who continues to come to me for lessons although he is really finished and already plays in a professional orchestra in Essen.
Comments:
It sounds glorious! I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall!

Carol
 
No kidding - New years there sounds wonderful. I miss being in Europe and hope one day to be back..
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?