Thursday, October 05, 2006

Sad Day

Decided today was the time to part with my avocado tree. Grown from a seed (yes, I ate the avocado first!) lovingly suspended by toothpicks in a glass jar (my boys said: Give it up dad, it will never grow!) it did eventually develop some tender roots, then, tentatively, 2 hesitant leaves. For two long years, nothing else happened. Two leaves peered up at us, balefully. Then 2 more. After about 5 years, it had reached a height of maybe 18 inches. Extraordinary! But about three years ago it suddenly decided to take off, and despite a decidedly spindly stalk, reached a height of nearly 12 feet. But then the bugs, to their delight, discovered it and despite my best efforts, it withered, and I have now consigned it to that Great Avocado Orchard in the Sky. I shall now have to find some other companion for my quiet times on the toilet. Posted by Picasa
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?